Posted to alt.home.repair
Italian Italian is offline

Default Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

As suggested below first I would try a new blade or balance the one you
have if its not to far gone..if it still vibrates you know it is the
shaft....

wrote:
Just wondering. I got a push mower with a bent crankshaft. The mower
starts on one pull and runs great except it vibrates so bad that it's
near impossible to hold it for more than a few minutes. I heard they
have some sort of jig to straighten them, but also heard about doing
it with a hammer and wood block. Is this really possible? If yes,
where does one get a jig, or what is the method with the hammer?
I dont need to get it 100% accurate, but right now it's beyond using
as it is. It's just an old beater so I am not willing to buy a new
crank unless I happen across a cheap used one. But if I can
straighten it for a few bucks, I'll give it a try. The worse I can do
is destroy it, and it's junk right now unless I get it straighter.

By the way, it's s 3.5hp Tecumseh

Mark