Posted to alt.home.repair
Nobull4u Nobull4u is offline

Default hardwood over particle board

steven wrote:
I just nailed hardwood flooring (3/4 inch) to a particle board
subfloor. NOW I know this was a mistake. What can I do to fix it?
The particle board is the subfloor in this house--it was not put over a
more durable subfloor. Can I put long nails through the face of the
new floor into the joints.

If I have to pull up the floor, what is the easiest way to do this
without destroying the floor? I'm pretty sick about this--we don't
have 5000 to blow and it looks like we did just that.

Steven,

HOW do you know you made a mistake? Is it tongue and groove hardwood?
The T&G is there to help with the wood expansion without the joints
buckling. Is there a gap at the walls for expansion? If it is in a
bathroom or kitchen, where there will be lots of moisture on the floor,
yes you did make a mistake. That might be tempered with quite a few
coats of poly or marine varnish.

I have OSB subflooring with no degradation to the hardwood flooring on
top of it. As long as there is not a lot of moisture coming from below
the particle board it should be ok. Relax, enjoy your new floor.

Joe