Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default Help with a chip

Hot swap works if the chip is socketed, but this appears to be a TSOP
package..

I'd advise you to avoid removing the chip from the board unless you are very
good at soldering components with a fine lead pitch.

- Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
You might check the web for a program called UniFlash.
It works with a lot of different Bios chips.
You could do a hot-swap to copy your existing Bios into another
chip. You actually start the computer with the Bios chip in the socket
(after you made a copy of it to the diskette)
and then swap the chip after the machine is going and copy the bios
from the diskette to the chip with UniFlash.
Hope this helps...
John

machinesmith wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a problem and I hope that somebody might be able to help. I have a
bios chip I need to be copied because I can no longer get the bios. Its
out
of a MIPS computer. Once the chip is copied i want it to be placed on
another identical board.
The markings on the chip are
Samsung 404
K9F5608U0B
YIB0

I found a page with a detailed description he
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/pa...K9F5608U0B.php

A picture of the chip is he
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1671/00058804kk.jpg

My questions are, can this be done? (the chip copied?) are they a write
one
chip or can they be written multiple times? (I ask because if the one
from
the new board cant be overwritten I may need to buy some blank ones)
What sort of money would I be looking at to have the chip copied? or is
this
something I can do myself with a programmer I can buy?

Cheers guys!