Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerome Ranch Jerome Ranch is offline

Default Wear on Stair Treads

Not set on real wood
I thought the composite wood was less wear resistant (to tearing) than
real wood. The composites I've sen have a grain impressed into them
so they look like an open grained oak. This is the problem with open
grained woods, the edges of the grain get caught on the dogs nails and
it tears up.
I could try it for a couple of treads to see how it wears anyway

Jerry

If you're not dead set on real wood, how about a composite wood material. I
use a couple of different brands and here are two I recently finished with
WeatherBest and Choicedeck, respectively (with no particular attempt to
pretty them up for the photos):

www.e-woodshop.net/images/driftwood.jpg

www.e-woodshop.net/images/choicedeck.jpg

If you want real wood, what Leon said.