Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Purchasing a 15" Planer: Overhead mounted or under mounted motor?

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Here are a couple of questions :

- I had seen a couple of posts related to the JWP-16OS. Does anyone have
any more feedback on this planer (This is the one I am leaning toward;
should I be looking at something else)?
- Does anyone know why these two companies discontinued under mounted
motors
in this size range of planer?
- Is the overhead mounted motor system a bad choice?
- Does anyone know of any recent reviews on this size of planer (I have
been
searching on the Internet but have found nothing so far)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I went through this in January when purchasing my second planer. I bought
the Delta with stationary table for the single reason that I would be
lifting my infeed and out feed rollers much more often than changing blades
if I went with the under mount motor. The blades may be a bit more trouble
to change on the over head motor but not as much trouble as readjusting
infeed and out feed rollers if you choose to use them. A nice selling point
is that the Delta comes with fold down infeed and out feed roller extensions
that add about 4' to total length of the planer but really do not take up
much more than an additional 6" when not in use. I'd buy it again.