Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Wear on Stair Treads

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:58:36 GMT, Jerome Ranch
wrote:

Hi

Our dog kennel is in the lower level of our walkout ranch.
The stair treads and risers are pine. The risers are fine,but the
pine treads, being soft, wear out quickly due to the dogs (their nails
wear the treads out). Oak doesn't work, since it is an open grained
wood, it is subject to wear like that of the pine. Can you make a
suggestion as to what material I can use in place of the treads (or ON
the treads) so they'll wear better (and look nicer)?

Thanks
Jerry

Oak will not wear anywhere near what you are experiencing with pine,
but you are correct there are open pores in the grain. Finishing
generally minimizes the issue.
Are the treads soft pine? If so, that is a no-no in stair buliding.
Hard pine (southern yellow) can make an *acceptable* tread where cost
prohibits hardwood.
If cost is not an issue and you are looking for advanced durability
and appearance, Hard Maple wears like iron and has an attractive
grain. However, unless I am missing something I would consider that
out-of-place in the setting you describe - dogs, kennel, etc. There
are all kinds of tack-down applications such as rubber that might be
the best idea.

Good Luck,