Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Large pieces of wood

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 01:57:56 GMT, "Boyd Rollins"
wrote:

So, wood-gods.....is it me, or is it just impossible to find relatively inexpensive wood in these
dimensions? Believe me, I've clicked/search/googled for quite some time now and cannot find
hardwoods in large enough dimensions that don't cost an arm, leg and mortgage.

Random thoughts welcome here. Thanks.

You know, a lot of folks in my area swear by wood they get from the
Amish. I haven't bothered to track any down myself, as I have a
pretty solid working relationship with the local hardwood dealer, and
they (the Amish) don't have phones. I don't know if they're in your
area or not, but it might be worth a look if they are. By reputation,
they're cheap and have nice stuff that is hard to find elsewhere
hidden back in thier barns- the advice I was given was that the more
patient you are, the better deal you'll get.