Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:06:16 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote
(in article ):

Andy Hall typed

If it was a serious problem people wouldn't buy the lamps.

It clearly is a serious problem because people don't buy them.

It is serious; I don't buy them cos their light makes me unhappy. I
can't be alone.

I try to do my bit for the planet but won't let it make me feel ill (or
is that off-colour?)
I have a tendency towards SAD and CFLs don't help.

That I do understand. I have a number of friends and acquaintances in
northern parts of the Nordic countries and this is a big issue. Light boxes
are popular and effective, although this tends to be through light intensity
and the higher end of the light spectrum.

(Big south-west facing windows at the back of the house and north-east
windows in front do help, though I'm a tad hot right now...)

If you stand at any self service fixture in a supermarket or DIY store for
5-10 minutes and watch what people are choosing to buy, it is standard
tungsten lamps, halogen lamps and spot lamps. Occasionally one sees
somebody pick up a CFL.

These things are not flying off the shelves and the reasons why are obvious.

Too right.
They will need a much better emission spectrum, they'll need to fit most
luminaires, they'll need to be easily available in all sizes and shapes
etc, etc, etc...