Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:05:19 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

If there was actually a good range of home fittings which took
remote ballasted compact fluorescents, it might have worked.

People have remained wedded to "traditional" styles of fitting.
Whether this is a chicken or egg is debatable. When they started off
Thorn did sell a 2D conversion kit which had the control gear in a
box with a bayonet fitting on one end and a standard 16W 2D lamp on
the other.

Why should one have to mess about with that nonsense?

What nonsense? Plug the control gear into the bayonet, fit bulb.
When the bulb fails replace bulb. No mess, no nonsense.

These things are not flying off the shelves and the reasons why are obvious.

The reasons are indeed obvious. Many people don't know much about
lighting, but are keen to follow what they think is the current
fashion. There are other reasons, but I think ignorance is the most
important one.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh