Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ray Ray is offline

Default Rats! a tail of woe, probably pointless

"Ray" wrote in message
The old place has recently suffered a quite severe infestation of rats.
All feed, both animal & human, is kept secure.
From whence they came I know not but they certainly have made merry below
floors.

Talking to people in the local shop today and was surprised to hear that
more than a few have had problems with rats over recent weeks. The local
vicar has recently had a pest control company out to eradicate the problem
at the vicarage. The pest control person informed him that this probably
occurred as a result of a major water pipe burst about a mile away as the
crow flies (or the rat runs).
See:
http://www.thameswater.co.uk/UK/regi...omepage_000431

This burst occurred 3 months ago and I first noticed the problem about six
weeks ago, so the timing could be correct. The site of the original burst
is still closed and a temporary road has been created over adjacent fields
Have spoken with the council who 'are not aware of any widespread problem
and do not offer a free pest control service' but they are kindly sending
me a list of approved pest control companies in the area.
I'm fairly sure that I am now rid of the creatures at least for the time
being.

My house has lost 2/3rds of its electrical circuits. The remaining 1/3rd is
fortunately much more modern, an entirely separate system with its own cu
and goes upwards rather than underfloor. The place is a mess of extension
leads at present to keep essentials running.

Fortunately a lifelong friend and qualified (up to date) electrician is
coming to start rewiring next Monday. This will give me the weekend to
clear 25 years worth of accumulated clutter from the loft, 2 bedrooms,
kitchen, bathroom and conservatory/utility area.

What joy !!

On a brighter note, the old place is long overdue for a rewire anyway and a
good opportunity to update the place a bit

Rats!