Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Loft conversion insulation

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:52:12 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Christian McArdle" randomly hit
the keyboard and produced:

http://www.tri-isosuper10.co.uk/docs...ada%20Cert.pdf

This details how the test chalets were constructed and tested is here and
how the data collected was used to fine tune a model that allowed
predictive
comparisons to be made for various weather conditions and locations. The
comparisons were then made for many UK locations to give the average
compari
son of 210mm for the Tri-iso Super 10. (My recollection is that Tri-iso
Super 9 had slightly lower performance).

There is nothing to say what the external conditions where during the
test to maintain the temperature at 23°C. It could have been during a
hot, southern French summer. Likewise the date of the testing in the
UK isn't given, nor is the external weather conditions.

It's probably very easy to maintain a minimal temperature difference
due to the better radiation properties of the material, but I suspect
at greater differences the conductivity has a much more dramatic
effect.

These tests were conducted by a credible and independent testing company
on
the premises of that credible and independent testing company.

TRADA apparently don't have UKAS certification to test insulation
products, so their test doesn't count.

The only way to test this stuff is over a period of time with as I have
said, two identical houses next to each other, both air-tight to the same
levels, one with 200mm of Rockwool one with Triso9. Then see how much fuel
they use and measure temperatures at various points around the house either
side of the insulation.

It may do what they are saying, but until proper meaningful tests are
carried out is not the equivalent to 200mm of Riockwool. And it is not
exactly cheap either.