Posted to misc.consumers.house
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Trying to install a ceilng light

wrote:

I am trying to install a simple light but I'm having some issues. The
light has white/black/bare and the box in the ceiling (prewired before
I moved in) has red, grey, and yellow. I have a circuit tester and I
figured out that grey is hot, but I don't know which of the other two
(yellow or red) is ground. I should also mention the house is only 3
months old.

I tried to wire it this way but it didn't work:

Light fixture black -- Celing Grey
Light fixture white -- Ceiling Orange
Light fixture bare -- Ceiling Yellow

Also, there are 3 switches in the same box for the room. One controls
the ceiling light I am trying to install. One is for an outlet. And
the other is supposedly for a fan.

Can anyone help??

Can I screw anything up if I wire it wrong? Or can I just try
different combinations until it works?

This is in the US?? What kind of cable did they use?
The colors are not proper according to Code, which raises
suspicion about what else they may have done...

Jim