Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default AC Energy Saver mode

mm wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:08:19 GMT, yourname wrote:

home, I'd turn it back on, and wait until it did its job.

If it's 90 degrees out and you're cooling your place to 80, you're
wasting loads of electricity and money. If it's only 2 degree
difference, you're still wasting some.

Why not just keep the bathtub almost full of 80 degree water so that
when you want a bath, you just add a little more hot water and it's
ready? Or keep the car's engine idling all the time so the car is
ready to go.

If it were not for moisture in the air, you would be right. Or in an
uninsulated house. Ever try to get a house cool and dry from 90? Don't
happen for quite some time. Need to get the water out.

I have central air, and a 1400 sq. ft. townhouse (plus 700 sq.ft.
basement), (and those may be differences from the OP but you haven't
said about yours), but for me it takes about a hour, even after I go
away for 5 days. And I live in Maryland with plenty of humidity,
especially on the days I use the AC.

When I posted the first time, I already knew about humidity, and if it
took 2 or 4 hours, I would still turn the AC off when I went away for
2 days.

The higher the humidity and temperature the more the evaporator will
absorb heat of both latent and sensible during its runtime.
The higher the humidity the higher the latent condensation heatload
ratio on the cooling coil.
Study the graphs on the linked page below.

I would hang out during the time it was cooling off in the room with
the AC, if I couldn't take it anywhere else. But I can take it with
no problem. Once one gets used to warm weather, he's used to it.

ALSO, If you leave the windows closed while you're gone, the humidity
won't increase. [Wrong] If you think it will increase, please explain.

Humidity will increase with the windows and doors closed.
No building is air tight. There is always air infiltration into a building.
The more the wind blows the more air infiltration per hour.
It pays to reduce air infiltration to a minimum!
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

Even if it did increase, that would just mean the AC is running more
during those two days, because cooling the room requires removing the
humidity. All the more reason to turn it off.

You may want to check the amount of insulation in the "floor" of your
attic. For a long time I thought I had plenty, but it seems not. And
the ventilation up there.

--

Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html