Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Baker Andrew Baker is offline

Default Showers & water pressure

Wanting to install a new shower, I'm trying to understand water
pressures...

My cold water is all direct from the mains (no tank). United utilities
say they supply it with at least 7m static pressure. Does this mean it's
at least 0.7 Bar, then?

Hot water is fed from a tank. I've a non-combi boiler that's
pressurised, but that's just the heating circuit, I think. The hot water
tank is in the cellar. I _think_ there's a header tank for it in the
loft, though I've not actually heard it filling when the hot water is
running (further tests tonight!).

(Is it possible that there's no header tank and the cylinder is fed
directly from the mains? I don't think the hot water is pumped in any
way - just the CH)

Assuming it is a loft tank, can I estimate the hot water pressure as
being the distance from where my new shower head will be to the tank in
the loft?

So, with a shower downstairs, and the tank in the loft in a high-ceiling
house, that'll be something like 5 or 6 metres, meaning a pressure of
about .5 or .6Bar?

Does the fact that the tank will be below the shower head make a
difference? Will the 'resistance' of all the pipework make a big
different to that 0.5Bar figure?

Or am I completely offside and misunderstanding?