Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Loft conversion insulation

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

The Advertising Standards Authority got
them claiming their reflective
insulation is 'Equivalent to 200mm
of traditional thick insulation'. A
complaint has been upheld after
ASA went to independent technical experts.

Reading the adjudication shows that
it provides no new information. It is
already known that basic u-Values
are much worse for it, as it takes no
account of the method of heat transfer
resistance used by Triiso type
insulation. This has never been in dispute.

The Tri-iso Super 9/10 insulation works
using a completely different method
to Celotex/Kingspan/Rockwool. Methods
used to measure conduction of
traditional insulation are not applicable to
tri-iso insulation. This is why
BM Trada designed an "as used" type of
methodology that measured actual
performance as installed which is valid for
any type of insulation, no matter how it works.
The ASA adjudication reads in a very suspect manner.

i.e..

"We acknowledged that BM TRADA
Certification was a leading multi-sector
certification body accredited by the United
Kingdom Accreditation Service.
We considered that the BM TRADA report
did not provide enough detail to
support their methodology instead of the
methodology employed by the
internationally recognised ISO industry standards."

It is very clear to me why the ISO industry
standards are not applicable

Read it again!!!! "We considered that the BM TRADA report did not provide
enough detail to support their methodology". Trada did devise a separate
testing method and they don't agree that it is adequate.

For me, the jury is still out.

It doesn't work until proved it does. They claim equiv to 200mm of
Rockwool. Not proven at all.

It is bubble wrap with a layer of foil in a covering of poly. If taped, it
tends to make the place more air-tight giving the impression of superior
insulation.
There is no testing model to explain, which is good enough. After all this
time you would have thought they could have done tests on an Actis Triso9
house and an identical house without Actis with 200mm of insulatiion in
the walls. If there was a clear difference I'm sure they would be crowing
from the rooftops with all data printed and freely given out.

Many people have seen an improvement, although I think more to the air-
tightness the plastic sheeting gives.

There is NO proper independent tests for this stuff. It is not the same as
Rockwool that is clear and reacts differently. So, two identical houses
both air-tight to the same levels, one with 200mm of Rockwool one with
Triso9. Then test the houses using meangfull recorded data. Simple isn't
it? Not one test has been performed.

So, far it is a case of it doesn't work until reliable meaningful
independent test data is produced on houses in cold climates. Triso9 is
"very expensive" bubble wrap, nothing else...until proven otherwise.