Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle Christian McArdle is offline

Default Loft conversion insulation

The Advertising Standards Authority got them claiming their reflective
insulation is 'Equivalent to 200mm of traditional thick insulation'. A
complaint has been upheld after ASA went to independent technical experts.

Reading the adjudication shows that it provides no new information. It is
already known that basic u-Values are much worse for it, as it takes no
account of the method of heat transfer resistance used by Triiso type
insulation. This has never been in dispute.

The Tri-iso Super 9/10 insulation works using a completely different method
to Celotex/Kingspan/Rockwool. Methods used to measure conduction of
traditional insulation are not applicable to tri-iso insulation. This is why
BM Trada designed an "as used" type of methodology that measured actual
performance as installed which is valid for any type of insulation, no
matter how it works. The ASA adjudication reads in a very suspect manner.

i.e..

"We acknowledged that BM TRADA Certification was a leading multi-sector
certification body accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service.
We considered that the BM TRADA report did not provide enough detail to
support their methodology instead of the methodology employed by the
internationally recognised ISO industry standards."

It is very clear to me why the ISO industry standards are not applicable and
why a different methodology was required. I can't see why the ASA thought
otherwise. A methodology that actually involves sticking it on a house and
seeing how much heat is required to keep it warm would appear to me very
superior to measuring one aspect of a material's construction in the hope
that there is a linear relationship to energy use. The main reasons that
such a methodology is not normally used is obviously one of cost.

For me, the jury is still out. My loft has been insulated with it (I had
read all the controversy and the BM Trada methodology BEFORE installation).
Right now, the loft temperature is acceptable, especially compared with my
MOL's loft which was insulated conventionally and is currently uninhabitable
due to heat.

When the insulation originally went in (about March), the loft room
immediately became the warmest room in the house despite having no heating
system.

Christian.