Posted to uk.d-i-y
Haymish Pupkin Haymish Pupkin is offline

Default Sealing a wide gap on one side of a shower tray

Lobster wrote:
Haymish Pupkin wrote:

I need to seal a shower tray but the tray is 0.5"-1" away from the
wall at the back (the wall facing you as you walk into the cubicle).
I have filled the hole with plumbers mate putty and now I'm not sure
what to do next. I could fit a long thin strip of WBP ply over the gap
along the
length of the back wall so that it over hangs across the tray by
half an inch or so, then I could seal / stick it to the walls / the
shower tray with no more nails or silicone or something where the
ply meets the tray, then tile over the ply and seal with grout. Does
that make sense? I assume nothing will stick to the putty I have
used. Would someone walk me through the process of what I should do
/ not do to seal a gap like this?

What's the overal status here - is this an existing tiled shower in
which you're trying to repair a hole, or a completely new
installation?
IMHO flat areas within showers are to be avoided like the plague; yes
they can be sealed but they are inevitably the first place to leak.
*If* it's a new install, I'd be looking at battening out the wall and
applying aquapanel board to that, then tiling the aquapanel so the
tiles can be sealed directly to the shower tray, thereby eliminating
the flat strip.

David

Hi David

The shower cubicle has been in place for a good long time and it seems rock
solid apart from this issue. There are tiles on the walls so if I put a
piece of wood over the gap if would have tiles to the rear and sides, putty
below oh and bit of the shower tray and nothing in front of it.

Help