Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hardwood over particle board

"steven" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just nailed hardwood flooring (3/4 inch) to a particle board
subfloor. NOW I know this was a mistake. What can I do to fix it?
The particle board is the subfloor in this house--it was not put over a
more durable subfloor. Can I put long nails through the face of the
new floor into the joints.

What is the problem? Nails pulling up?

I'd consider using screws rather than nails, but it is a time consuming
process. Drill a 3/8" hole with a forstner bit, about 3/8" deep. Then
drill a pilot hole into the joist. You'd need a minimum of 2" long screw,
probably 2 1/2" would be better. Drive the screw, then put a plug in the
countersunk hole, cut flush, sand, refinish. When done, it may actually
enhance the appearance, unlike a nail head. .