Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C window unit: compressor or not?

"Carol" wrote in message

I've lived here just over a year, and hadn't yet cleaned the filter...I
went to do so and no filter! The metal fin things that easily bend were
totally clotted with crud. I did the best I could cleaning it up,
between a toothbrush and vacuum cleaner. (I probably bent some in the
process) Should there have been a filter???

Yes,m there should be a filter. It does not take much, just a cheap foam
filter from the home center will do.

But I've been noticing the cooling goes on and off much more than (I
think) it should in such hot weather. I've been timing it this
afternoon, and it seems to be pretty precise:

every six minutes, the compressor kicks on and it cools...for six
minutes. Then it goes off and the fan runs out regular (warmish and
stinky) air for...six minutes.

If the coils are as dirty as you say, air flow is blocked and pressures
inside are building and tripping the compressor out.

He returns it the next day, setting it in the yard,
and then some time that day the handymen guys come back and put it back
in the window. So I have to go without any AC for about a day and a half.

If is is a large apartment complex, they may have an extra unit and can swap
it out. Call them anyway.

So...if this six minute on/off thing doesn't sound right, what do I tell
the person at the rental office who is semi stupid? I need to clearly
communicate the problem, or they'll just tell the AC repair guy to hose
it off and call it done. I need some expert talk to say, or they'll tell
me the six minute cycle is perfectly normal, and I really do not think
it is. I think during 100 degree heat, that sucker ought to be running
24/7, not every other six minutes.

Am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong. Just tell the person it is not working at all and
there is no filter. Giving too many details may actually hinder progress in
this case. Firmly as for a repair quickly.