Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs mwlogs is offline

Default How much can soffit vents help?

The vents would help. Hot air rises, but if there is no way for cooler air
to enter so the hot air can exit the higher vents it gets trapped. That
said, without knowing the A/C configuration for supply and return vents what
you'll actually observe in the effect on cooling may not be that great. The
basement rooms that are at least partially surrounded by the cooling effect
of the earth will always be cooler than the upstairs rooms that are not.
Improving the air flow within the house (drawing the cool air up to the
upper levels and the warm air down to the lower levels) will probably have a
more dramatic effect on the cooling.

That said, there is also the risk of moisture build-up in the attic with
insufficient ventilation. Installing the soffit vents will help reduce
this, keeping mold, rot, and other moisture related problems to a minimum.

"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I have a house from the 60s. It is 30 feet deep and 60 feet long. I have
3'x3' gable vents in each end of the house. Plus there are two roof vents
about 8 to 10 inches round.

There are no soffit vents what so ever. Reading on the Internet only talks
about the benefits to roof its self. I would like to know how much it
would help with the temperature in the rooms just below the attic.

The walkout basement family room and bedroom are always a good 15 degrees
below that upstairs and the A/C runs all the time.

Will the vents help?

Thank you,
--
Frederick Wilson