Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
thug thug is offline

Default one more question

I did some for a customer last Christmas. I used Bocote, maple, mesquite and
cocobolo. They were all great for the purpose. I went ahead and did an extra
set for my mother who loves them. My client wanted something different than
the woods at the knitting stores. The maple needles were dyed in bright
colors. A steady rest and a good skew and you are in business. I used a
metric wrench set to size them in conjunction with a caliper. I roughed them
witht he caliper and did the final sanding until the wrench fit. There are
several sizes depending on the use. I did 2 sets 13mm some at 6mm and 8mm
seemed to be the most popular. Expect to break a couple of the early
attempts. Relax and enjoy the shavings.

Dennis Ewing
San Antonio, TX

"spikedriver" wrote in message
What would be a tight grain wood. I would be turning wood knitting
needles for my wife and her friends. Something that would not catch on
the yarn.

Thanks,
Dennis