Posted to rec.woodworking
Pounds on Wood Pounds on Wood is offline

Default Brought home my Rockwell 6"x48" belt , 12" disk sander home.... (w/pics)

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
I finally brought home my Delta/Rockwell sander,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander1a.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander2a.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander3a.jpg

The motor was a 3450 RPM 3 phase motor and I could not easily find the
motor I wanted in 3450 RPM single phase. I decided on a 1.5HP 1725 RPM
Leeson cap start cap run motor with a manual reset overload. This required
a larger pulley but was not a problem to source.

Did you consider keeping the motor and adding a VFD? One complaint people
have with those combo sanders is that there is no ideal motor speed for both
the belt and the disc. With a VFD one could have the best of both, and
avoid changing the motor. These days you can get a VFD for not much more
than the price of a motor.

I have a similar Rockwell, but belt only, no disk. Fine machines!

--
********
Bill Pounds