Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

In article ,
David Hansen writes:
On 02 Jul 2006 23:13:10 GMT someone who may be
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

I found an EU survey on adoption a year or so back, which
broadly agreed. Number one reason given for not using them
was not fitting in lampshades/lightfittings people want to
use or already have.

Lamps like the following are much the same size as GLS lamps
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pro....asp?ProdID=75

Unfortunately not. All those are longer than an old GLS bulb,
the 20W one (nearest to 100W equivalent output) is an inch
longer (and there would be even more size difference between
the newer smaller size GLS bulbs now being used).

There are also candle bulbs and spotlights
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pro...asp?ProdID=105
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3680

In the past energy saving lamps would not fit in some fittings, but
I doubt if there are many such fittings now. I recently helped a
member of the family fit them in bulkhead lights which wouldn't take
any styles of compact fluorescent bulbs before.

I tried going round my parent's house, but a significant number
of the fittings won't take equivalent light output CFLs, only
much lower output ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel