Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK RichK is offline

Default AC Energy Saver mode

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

I have a 1 yr old through the wall unit, around 18000 btu with a 220v
plug.

1) Does the energy saver mode make a measurable difference in energy
use? Mine goes on and off in what I think is short cycles, I assume
because the room temp increases rapidly. I keep the temp set at
around 74 deg. The room stays comfortable enough.

Not sure what the desiners meant by energy saver mode in your unit. Any
description in the User Manual? Or is it in Chinese?

Don't see how short cycles save energy, it the thermostat (inside) setting
is the same. Is the speed any different? Did you measure the room temp.
If it's the same in both settings, can't see where the savings come from.

2) Is all of that turning on and off bad for the unit? Should I just
keep it on regular mode running all the time, instead? I know that
the cooling part cycles on and off to keep the temp constant so I
assume the energy saver feature just controls the fan?

Depending how often it cycles. Starting a motor does increase the temp
temporarily, but it stabilizes in a minute or so. If the cycles are several
minutes, there should be no prob. Again assuming the design eng KNEW what
he was doing. Slower fan speed will save a bit of energy, but very little.

Check the temp and cycle time. See how much running time you get in an hour
in both modes. If the same, you're not saving much. Again all that should
be in User Manual, if the unit is made by a good company.

RichK