Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default In search of a BETTER pen press

On 2 Jul 2006 15:03:43 -0700, "kcleere" wrote:

I have also made some extra blocks for the press but what did you use
an eye bolt for?

I got tired of having to line up the center of the ram with the center of the
press block.. like others have said, it lifts and makes the ram go high...

I tried mounting a stiffer plate under the ram but that made it lock up, so I
ended up drilling a hole in the base about an inch in front of the of the metal
baseplate and putting the eyebolt over the shaft (you have to take the nut and
stuff off the end of the rod) with the threaded part of the eyebolt through the
hole in the base with a locknut on the end...

The eyebolt is as far from the base as I could get it without preventing the ram
from fully retracting, so it adds just a bit of alignment help... but mostly
tells me that the assembly needs bending down again when the rod rubs the top of
the eyebolt opening..

I read what I just typed and confused myself, so I guess I'll have to drag the
camera out there.. *g*

wrote:
I use a pipe clamp

kcleere wrote:
I currently use a pen press from PSI and it's only "Adequate", The push
toggle flexes up under pressure and theres a little all around slop in
the opposite pressing surface. I like this style of press and want to
make my own.

Just wondered if anyone has built their own and has found a good heavy
duty horizontal toggle that didn't flex and also how flex was handled
on the other end. Any pics you might have would be great too.

Thanks....Ken

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis