Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:05:45 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Number one reason given for not using them was not fitting in
lampshades/lightfittings people want to use or already have.

Aye, it's not so bad now, CFL's are becoming available that are the same
size as GLS bulbs. Excess length was the normal problem.

They shot themselves in the foot by it being a different fitting.

Are we talking about the trails(?) previoulsy mentioned? That is fing
daft people will swap the fittings if they don't like 'em.

- Quality of the light

Again much improved in recent years.

- People are not that sensitive to the costs of running tungsten
lightbulbs.

Agreed, unless you do the maths you don't notice. I think most people
expect the big heating loads, kettle, cooker, hob etc contribute most to
the huge power bills. But 500W for 18hrs a day uses a lot of power...
ISTR that capital payback for 6 x 9W CFLs @ £8+ each was 6 months or so
in our lounge that was lit by 6 x 40W tungsten.

- People are sensitive to paying a great deal more for other bulbs
where they don't see the benefit.

Some very cheap ones are appearing, 99p BOGOF in Morrisons branded
Phillips as well not own brand or no brand.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail