Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default How can I cool my loft?

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:03:09 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

Design doesn't come into it...EG my house was a baking 25C inside and 31C
outside with no air movement, how is opening a window going to cool it down?

Indeed. So was mine today...downstairs where I kept the windows shut,

Since you kept the windows shut you have demonstrated that keeping
the windows shut will not cool things down. Congratulations, though
it was unnecessary to conduct this experiment as I would have told
you this if you had asked.

curtains mostly closed,

A sensible way of reducing solar gain.

Ventilation may help to reduce the loft to ambient temp, but thats only
if the wind blows..

Incorrect.

Hot air rises. With suitable high and low level vents the
temperature in the loft can be moderated. It will probably not be as
low as in the house, as the tiles are thinner than the walls, but it
should not be "baking".

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh