Posted to alt.home.repair
Bruin Bruin is offline

Default Our through the Wall Sleeve Air Conditioner..

Our through the wall sleeve air conditioner no longer functions. It is
about 35 years old & time for a replacement. This is a condo, we have
one in the front room & one in the back, in our computer room. The
current unit is 8500 BTUs in a 170 sqft room plugged into a 220 outlet.

We have located several choices that appear to fit. In particular, two
units, a 8,000 & a 13,200 BTU that we can purchase & bring home today.
The 8000 BTU is a 110 & would be on the same circuit as the computers.
The 13200 unit is 220 & would be on it's own circuit.

Problem ONE: How the hell do I get the old one out?!? It seems to be
in there solid, VERY solid. Any suggestions are welcome & I understand
that answering this one without seeing it is difficult.

Problem TWO: the 13200 BTU unit is overkill I am sure. However, keeping
it on it's own circuit is necessary. Is there such a thing as an adapter
to go from the 220 to the 110?

TIA!

There is not an adapter that will take you from 220 and deliver 110. The
very fact that you asked suggests that the cure is beyond your present
capabilities. You would be much safer to hire an electrician.

Your 220 circuit might have 2 110 legs with a ground. It may or may not
have a neutral depending on age and code requirements when installed.

Your new 110 circuit needs 1 110 leg, a ground, and a neutral. These
changes can be made in the breaker panel with the wires that you have, but
only by someone who knows what it is they are doing.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Yes, it's true, I other than a bit of irrigation work, I have never done
anything electrical. The fact that I asked about a converter/adapter is
because the salesguy at an appliance dealer told me they existed. The guy
at Radio Shack tried to sell me a $48 & a $18 set of converters he claimed
would do the job. I pointed out there was no ground & he tells me "...it's
not needed." HAHAHA

Right now I got new 8000 BTU running & it is running well. With all three
computers. Computers are all on UPSs & seem to be ok. I hope to get
someone to convert the existing 220 to 110 as another suggested.

Thanks for your response!