Posted to rec.woodworking
zap zap is offline

Default Can't find user manual for craftman belt sander...

My friend, I do not have the 11726 but I do have a 11720 which is a 3
inch belt sander. Perhaps the instructions for installing and
adjusting mine will help you to do yours. (without the pictures)

Installing and adjusting sanding belt.
Disconect sander from power supply

Release tension on belt by pushing the front pulley squarely against the
top or edge of workbench. When the pulley is pushed back it will lock in
that position allowing slack in the belt so it can be removed. Install
new belt making sure arrow on inside of belt is pointing in the
direction of rotation which is clockwise when looking into open side of
sander. To put tension on the belt, insert a screwdrive between the
idler pulley support bracket and the idler pulley support and pry toward
front of sander.

To adjust sanding belt, connect sander to power supply. Stand sander on
end as illustrated, pull switch trigger and release immediately while
observing tracking of sanding belt. If sanding belt runs outward turn
tracking screw clockwise and counterclockwise if belt runs inward. This
should be done until you are sure belt will not come in contact with rub
strip. When you are sure belt will not rub against rub strip start
sander and fine adjust the tracking screw until belt stabilizes. When
correctly adjusted, the outer edge of the belt will be even with the
outer edge of sole plate.

Belt life will be incrreased appreciably if a few seconds are spent
adjusting the belt tracking.

Zap

J. Clarke wrote:
PeterM wrote:

You guys are so nice here, so please help me again. I have a Sears
Craftman 113-11726- belt sander, but no user guide. I need to know how to
get the belt off and another one on. I honestly Googled 30 minutes, and
can't find this darn userguide.....Help please, grandpa is going
nuts......Peter

You should be able to buy it from Sears parts ordering. If you have the
_full_ model number there's usually an illustrated parts breakdown on Sears
Parts ordering from which you may be able to figure out what you need to
do.

You might look along the side of the platen for a lever that you pull out.
If it is there it may be pretty stiff if you haven't use it in a while.