Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can I cool my loft?

Phil L wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:40:17 GMT someone who may be "mentalguy2004"
wrote this:-

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets? Could you not open the windows?
Ummm, because it's too hot and opening the windows doesn't help.

Then the house may be badly designed, though without looking at it I
couldn't say.

Design doesn't come into it...EG my house was a baking 25C inside and 31C
outside with no air movement, how is opening a window going to cool it down?

Indeed. So was mine today...downstairs where I kept the windows shut,
curtains mostly closed, and the large brick chimneys and concrete
floors held it down to that.

Upstairs it rapidly shot past 30C as thecomputer equipment heated it up..

Its very hard to cool BELO ambient..your best bet is to install thermal
mass that will keep cool during the day and release its heat at night.

Lofts will often rise well ABOVE ambient due to solar heating. All you
can do is thatch the roof really Its the case for having insulation
OUTSIDE the structure...keep the thermal mass inisde and moderate extremes..

Ventilation may help to reduce the loft to ambient temp, but thats only
if the wind blows..