Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Garage Conversion

Tom wrote:

Hi

Due to wife expecting our second child next year I am looking to
convert part of my detached garage into an office, it is brick built
with a flat roof and concrete floor a window will also be added. I
intend to insulate all walls by using a timber frame and then putting
plasterboard over it, i will also be insulating the dividing stud
wall along with ceiling and floor.
The new room size will be 3m x 3.3m and i think i will need
approximately 48m sq of insulation,. What type do you think i should
use?
Is it ok to use Chipboard for the flooring?, this will be on a timber
frame on top of a DPM. I would also like to line the walls with
chipboard over a DPM to give even betting insulation before creating
a timber frame, is this a good idea?

Thank you in advance for your comment & opinions.

Thanks
Tom

Sounds reasonable - but don't forget to check on building regs. Being a
detached garage, it was probably exempt - but won't be when part of it is
living accommodation. If the other part is still a garage - or even if it
may only be used for storing flammable materials - you'll need suitable fire
protection between the garage and office parts.

I'm not sure whether you'll also need planning permission for change of use.
It may be as well to check.
--
Cheers,
Roger