Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Our through the Wall Sleeve Air Conditioner..

There is not an adapter that will take you from 220 and deliver
110. The very fact that you asked suggests that the cure is
beyond your present capabilities. You would be much safer to hire
an electrician.

Your 220 circuit might have 2 110 legs with a ground. It may or
may not have a neutral depending on age and code requirements when
installed.

Your new 110 circuit needs 1 110 leg, a ground, and a neutral.
These changes can be made in the breaker panel with the wires that
you have, but only by someone who knows what it is they are doing.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Bruin" wrote in message
. ..
Our through the wall sleeve air conditioner no longer functions.
It is about 35 years old & time for a replacement. This is a
condo, we have one in the front room & one in the back, in our
computer room. The current unit is 8500 BTUs in a 170 sqft room
plugged into a 220 outlet.

We have located several choices that appear to fit. In
particular, two units, a 8,000 & a 13,200 BTU that we can
purchase & bring home today. The 8000 BTU is a 110 & would be on
the same circuit as the computers.
The 13200 unit is 220 & would be on it's own circuit.

Problem ONE: How the hell do I get the old one out?!? It
seems to be in there solid, VERY solid. Any suggestions are
welcome & I understand that answering this one without seeing it
is difficult.

Problem TWO: the 13200 BTU unit is overkill I am sure.
However, keeping it on it's own circuit is necessary. Is there
such a thing as an adapter to go from the 220 to the 110?

TIA!