Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy Timothy Murphy is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

wrote:

I would have thought governments should subsidize these bulbs,
if they are seriously interested in keeping their Kyoto promises.

So they take our money then reduce the cost of the light bulbs to us
with it. How handy. Dont forget all that wasted paperwork, regulation,
accounting and so on - they'd end up costing us more not less. The
price ticket would be less but we'd pay more than the difference in
other taxes, so we'd pay more overall.

This seems to me absurdly pessimistic.
Governments have promised (in effect) to reduce energy consumption,
so it is up to them to work out how to do it.
This seems to me a very simple way to make a non-negligible impact.

At the minimum, VAT could be removed on energy-saving bulbs.
Also, the government could insist on energy-saving bulbs being used
in institutions it controls or has influence over.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie