Posted to alt.home.repair
Lin0

Default Weak Central Air problem

Cool take a look at these temps and see if the current insulation is
doing its job

Right now 1:31pm Flat Rock michigan = 84°F
My A/C is not on, and there are no fans bringing in outside air
79°F on main floor
104°F in attic
All outside walls ranging between 76° and 81°F
100% sunny and 1/4 of roof is in tree shade

I'll reply back sunday night as I am leaving to Lansing. Be back, and
thanks for everything! =)

dpb wrote:
Lin0 wrote:
EDIT
My Temps dropped .4°F PER HOUR
sorry bout that

,,,

Actually, I overlooked that -- that's really not too bad.

As noted, w/ the air temperature at the duct outlets you have plenty
cool enough air so either you have to move more air or reduce the heat
load.

The thing I forgot to look for specifically and when I did look in your
description is the house construction. My guess is right-BRICK. Brick
houses are terribly difficult to cool once they're hot owing to the
high heat capacity of the brick--it just keeps on radiating into the
living space even after out of the direct sun. In that age of house
the amount of wall insulation is minimal at best and possibly might not
have been if it was a tract house. There's where I'd start looking and
of course, only a few air gaps can make a big difference. Plus, shade
to minimize the solar heating of the roof and brick veneer can make a
significant difference.

The other thing that can make a big difference in overall comfort is to
leave the fan on and use ceiling fans to keep some air movement.