Posted to alt.home.repair
Lin0

Default Weak Central Air problem

EDIT
My Temps dropped .4°F PER HOUR
sorry bout that
Lin0 wrote:
Heres the info you requested:
14 windows Anderson Thermopane with Storm windows currently installed.
Great condition.

The basement is finished and I added that into the 1100 sq footage, its
got two additional ducts to heat and cool it, both are under 2 feet in
total length and are shut for the summer.

The condition started when we had some brownouts back in 1995 and we're
just now making the repair on the unit to run again. (weak compressor
due to brownout) We've been just using an attic fan in the summer for
the last 10 years.

Attic is insulated R19

Any tips on finding losses? I went and bought a no-contact temp gun
last night.

Thanks so much!
dpb wrote:
Lin0 wrote:
everyone,

Have a problem of my A/C not cooling
my home down sufficiently:

Outdoor air temp was 81 from 1pm to 5pm
Inside air temp started at 76.8°F @1pm
inside air temp ended at 75.2°F @5pm
ATTIC AIR TEMP was over 103°F during all the hours
Every half hour the main floor temp only dropped about .4°F during
these hours.
Humidity on main floor was 42% at 1pm, and dropped to 38% by 5pm
...AND when the return air is 72°F, the output air from any room vent is
57°F

.... I want my house temps to fall at little higher
rate when the system runs. Like for example, it never shut off in those
5 hours as my target temp was 72°F !!!

Basically, what this tells me is that your heat load is too great for
the capacity of the unit. More attic insulation might help some plus
adding some (more) ventilation or even a power exhaust.

Is the basement finished living space and is it ducted or is it just a
basement?

You don't mention how many windows/doors, etc., nor condition of them
nor presence/absence of thermopane and/or storm windows. Such losses
as that would be another place to consider.

Also, is this an ongoing existing condition or has something changed?
W/ the new compressor, I'm guessing the old unit died and was repaired?
Probably a better choice would have been a new system although unless
the house were brought closer to current-day standards of insulation
and leakage control (or has been _recently_), a 50s vintage house will
probably be very "lossy"...