Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Default Using Garage for ham shack and computer

Alex wrote:

Hi all,

I'm about to get my amateur radio license (technician class), and with
our house not being all that large I was thinking the garage might be a
nice place to setup shop... we don't really use it for cars, and
currently it just has the mower and some other yard equipment out
there. I was wondering if others have converted their garage into a
home for their ham shack or computer area without doing an entire room
conversion.

The garage is on one corner of the house with one wall being exposed to
the outside and the garage door. My idea is if I blow insulation into
the attic above garage and also into the one wall, then get a better
garage door that seals better, it should be dueable.

If you compare the cost of studs and drywall with the cost of a "good"
garage door you may be surprised.

Now the catcher is heating and cooling. We live in Texas, so heating
isn't generally a problem. During the Summer I was thinking a window
unit and a simple space heater during the winter. My concern though is
the heat and cold on the equipment. If the garage is insulated okay
with a sturdy garage door, I'd think that should work, right?

Just curoius if anyone has ever looked into doing this... the garage is
430 sqft of space we're not using, and it'd be perfect if I could setup
shop out there

Thanks for any suggestions,

Alex

--