Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Trimming Doors

John wrote:
I have a new build house with hollow panelled doors, the type with a
grain effect. I need to trim at least three of them now carpets are
fitted. What is the best way to cut them to avoid
chipping/splintering of the door faces? I thought maybe deep scoring
with a Stanley knife etc. prior to cutting but I would have to make
sure I got the cut perfectly lined up top and bottom IYSWIM. What
about using a router?

TIA

John

Scoring them is a good idea,but why are you scoring them top and bottom? a
carpet is on about 3 to 4mm high.
You could also clamp battens either side of the door to reduce the risk of
splintering but this is finicky to get right.

A good straight router bit will give you a good sharp edge but you need to
put a piece of wood at the ending stage of the router cut otherwise if you
don't it'll splinter the edge of the door.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite