Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Peters

Default Seek good website & catalogues like SCREWFIX

On 01 Jul 2006, Andy wrote:

I don't follow the logic of not buying from an on-line site because
of delivery charges.

- If the prices are less for the goods than a store then why does
it matter?

- You can have free delivery if you spend more than £45

- A £6 delivery charge for smaller orders or faster delivery is
negligible when compared with the cost of transport plus time used
in going to a store.

I agree with you if the total cost (including delivery) was
competitive. But to buy a small item costing maybe £8 or £9 and add a
delivery charge of £6 means it is likely to be very uncompetitive.
After all I find Screwfix's price to be anything but bargain
basement.

I'm not that far from two or three different DIY chain stores but as
you point out it can take resources (time and money) just to make a
trip to them. Espeically if all I want to di is browse goods or to
compare prices.

That's why I want to get a decent catalogue or use some good web
sites and see what is avilable and what a good price is and then to
use my local store if they are suitable. In some cases they will be
and in others they will not be.