Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Default Using Garage for ham shack and computer

Alex wrote:
I'm in Central Texas where our summer days get up to about 100-105 at
the hottest but average probably 95-99. Winters are rarely below
freezing, and I'd guess stay around 40-50 most winter days.

My only concern is the garage door, which doesn't seal very well, and
the insulation. If I can get both of these better sealed I think it
would make for a cozier place. Also sealed I hope it'll keep the
varments out as I do find an occasional mouse running around in there.

Sorry, Alex, I don't know why I didn't read your location in your first
post -- when I went back to re-read it you clearly had said Texas. Must
be old age setting in!

The shacks that I've seen set up in garages have L-shaped workbenches
that still leave room for a car if you need it. The long part of the L
is along the wall and the short part angles off at something less than
90 degrees (maybe even 45 degrees?) near the front of the garage area.
The radio equipment is mostly along the front part of the L with the
operating positon at the apex of the L. The long part of the L is used
for storage, junk boxes, test equipment, etc.

Adding insulation and a better garage door will certainly help with the
heat load.