Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

Default House insurance

In article , buzz
wrote:

I was tremendously disorganized and I guess depressed for a while
and I let my home insurance lapse, for several years now. One company
said they wouldn't sell me any becuase I didn't have any. They consider
those who let their insurance lapse to be a risk.

If I find a place with lower standards, will they insist on inspecting
my house? It's safe enough, but an incredible mess. I want to clean
up, and I will, but I need insurance now.

Any recommendations of what to do or what insurance company to call?

I live alone. Things piled everywhere, the middle of the living room,
the family room, and the bedrooms are full, and the sofas and spare
beds are loaded with stuff, the right half of the stairs is full of
stuff to go up or downstairs but there is no way to take the stuff to
the next floor until things there are put away, unwashed dishes, tv's
and stereos I intend to fix stacked up 2 tv's high.

You, kind sir, are my late uncle reincarnate. He lived alone in a smaller
home quite literally full to the rafters with stuff. Not garbage or filth -
that went out on the curb every Friday - but he kept literally EVERYTHING
else. When the gentleman died, his estate removed 30,000 books and cancelled
84 magazine subscriptions including "Flying" and "Parents" - he was a lifelong
bachelor with no children and didn't even have a drivers license, much less a
pilot license. The company that cleaned out the house filled and emptied a 40
cu. yd. yard roll-off dumpster (the biggest they have that you usually see
behind large shopping malls) SIX TIMES. The house had deteriorated
substantially but was still liveable.

He, too, let his house insurance lapse.

The VERY FIRST thing the executor did was to get insurance on the house. They
insured the place AS IS.

Call a company every day or so until you get the coverage you need. They are
regulated by your state so there shouldn't be much difference for basic
coverage.

If they must inspect the place, and they probably do, let 'em. So what if
it's a mess? It's YOUR house, it's YOUR life and you're hurting NO ONE else.

Obviously, Uncle Bob had problems (depression among them), but he was a good
man and gentleman in every respect. The issue(s) that caused your situation
are beyond the scope of a home repair newsgroup, but give yourself credit for
posting.

Get the insurance and let 'em inspect the place. A little embarrassment is a
small price to pay for protection of something of considerable value.

Good luck!
--

JR