Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Default How to care for tools?

Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:50:53 -0700, Malathan
wrote:

As I am just starting out, I don't know all the ins and
outs of caring for tools. In the past, I have just let
tools sit in garage. As result, I have found rust of a
few of my tools, such as screw drivers and pliers.

I have slowly gotten into woodworking. Slowly as in have
some money for tools OR wood, but not both. So I am at
that stage of collecting tools (the best part of
woodworking, right?), and am wondering what is the proper
way of caring for tools? This includes hand tools and
power tools? What about cast iron table saw tops?

Thanks in advance,

- Clayton

Sounds like you have a moisture issue. Keep your tools in
air-tight boxes or cases when not in use. Wipe them
occasionally with a rag that has a few drops of kerosene in
it. There are special sprays you can use on the saw table
tops, or you can polish it using Johnson's paste wax. I
polish my cast iron tops once a month, although weekly is
better. You can put a 3 watt bulb under the cast iron
table to keep it slightly warmer than the
surroundings--that will help drive moisture away.

Umm, no, that'll draw moisture. As soon as a cooler draft comes
in the table will almost grab that moisture right out of the air.