Posted to alt.home.repair
aka-SBM

Default A/C Replacment or Repair?

"mm" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:48:07 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Soudns like the repair option will be the least expensive. I don't
have any data on the efficiency, but I'd guess the cost of the new
equipment will be more than the energy saving.

If you do have a real offer of a 10-seer, it's gonna have to be fast.
Cause I thought the EPA requires minimum of 13 seer for any equipment
made after the first of this year. So, it's not likely to find any 10
seer equipment any more.

Of course this was "made" years ago, and refurbished at least a couple
weeks (or a few months) ago. What is the EPA rule going to be about
items made 5 years ago, and refurbished 5 years after the 13 seer rule
goes into effect? They probably didn't say.

Or is perchance the whole rule about "installed", rather than "made"?
I think you are right on that.

I didn't know they rerurbished ACs but if they do small appliances,
it's probably worth it even more to do large ones.

For the record, a couple of companys got exceptions to the 13SEER ruling
that Chris (Stormin) knows little to nothing about, and if you want 10SEER,
all you have to do is ask a legitimate contractor that is keeping up to date
with issues.

Our state made it clear on the 13SEER rule...install what you have, as long
as you have it, UNLESS its new construction.