Posted to alt.home.repair
Persephone

Default Sprinkler System Problem

On 29 Jun 2006 12:56:38 -0700, wrote:

I just moved into an old house that has a built in sprinkler system.
Unfortunately, one of the zones does not work, yet 2 of them do.

By researching previous posts, I've found some good ideas on how to
check if it is the wiring by hooking up the wires from a zone that
works to one that doesn't and testing it that way.

However, if it still does not work, apparently it is probably a valve
problem. The thing is, I didn't know that each zone had a valve and I
have no idea where a valve would be or what it would look like. I've
looked everywhere near that zone for some sort of cutoff switch in the
ground but can't find anything.

I'll be calling a sprinkler repair man if necessary but I'm trying to
avoid it.

FOLLOW UP: For those with sytems... how long and how often should I
water? I'm in Texas so the lawn requires frequent watering (I would
think) but I'm also trying to keep my water bill at a REASONABLE level.

Thanks!

How about doing away with the lawn and changing to a xeriscapic
installation? Landscaping with water-saving plants can be not
only aesthetic but would also cut your water bill a LOT!

Google with keywords "xeriscapic gardens" and/or
"xeriscapic landscaping" will yield many sites with
suggestions for water-saving plantings.

You might also get after your municipality to lower your
rates if you change to a xeriscapic garden.

Persephone