Posted to alt.home.repair
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com

Default Flooded Basement

mm wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:49:14 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Then get a battery powered back up for next time.

I would like to do that, but will both a battery powered pump and the
original electric pump fit in the same standard size hole at the same
time?

(I assume with a check valve in each pipe, they can share the same
output pipe.)

A battery powered back up will only help if you lose electricity... My
sump pump went bad and the basement flooded on the weekend while my
tenants were gone. If the pump is over ten year old it may not be a bad
idea to replace it. They don't last forever. I had new carpet that
was just put down 4 months earlier. Pulled it up let it dry and
replaced the padding and it was OK. Your best bet is to check the pump
often. Mine all I have to do is pull up on the rod and it will start
up. Now I never walk by it without testing it...