Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Flooded Basement

"jcmilla" wrote in message

There
has been several inches of rain dropped on our area the past 5 days.
Well of course our sump pump stopped working. I went into the
basement one day and found that it was starting to get wet. Within 1
hour I had 2 inches of water covering the floor. Then we realized the
sump pump was not working. When we called insurance they sent over an
engineer who looked around for 10 minutes and left. The next day I
got a call saying that our water came up from the cement and we
wouldn't be covered.

Sadly you and thousands of others will not be covered. Yes, it can come up
that fast between the cracks in the floor at the joints. I've heard of even
faster fill ups. I've heard stories of 50 year old houses that were dry put
to the recent rains last October and again this spring.

One lesson is to check your sump pump often. Once every couple of months,
dump some water into the sump hole and be sure it kicks on and pumps out.