Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternate electric ideas

Anybody can make energy, even kids: Oakridge-Marpole students were top
winners at the Vancouver Climate Change game. Here's a link to the
victory picnic party:

http://sustainabilitymagic.blogspot....te-change.html

Andy wrote:
ameijers wrote: "Solar' does not always mean 'electric'. In the case
of the hot tub, it is a
no-brainer- a solar collector (can be as simple as a bunch of black tubing
on roof), and a small electric pump, perhaps even a small windmill, would
easily take over most of the water-heating duties for the tub. Electricity
is very convenient, but sometimes stone-age forms of energy can still be
very useful at a much lower price.

aem sends...

Andy writes:

You are absolutely right.... I was assuming that he meant using
photovoltaic cells to make electricity for stuff.......

Solar heating is a very practical, and very cost effective idea if
one
is in a climate where the sun is readily available when needed...

Unfortunately, solar cooling isn't as practical, although I think
that
solar heat could probably be used to power ammonia cycle refrigerators.
I've never seen one, but the fridge in my RV uses a tiny propane flame
to run the cooling apparatus, so I suspect an enterprising fellow could
replace the propane flame with a solar collector..... As far as air
contitioning a house, forget it if a swamp cooler isn't good
enough....

Andy