Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default How to care for tools?

Vic Baron wrote:
"Malathan" wrote:
So I am at that stage of collecting
tools (the best part of woodworking, right?), and am wondering what is
the proper way of caring for tools?

Lot's of different things to consider but, for me - I use both a non silicon
wax and a product called Boeshield to protect my tablesaw, jointer, etc. I
also cover them at the end of the day and try to remove any sawdust from the
flat surface. Hand tools, generally get Boeshield or WD-40 and lightly
wiped. Everyone has their individual preferences so you should get some good
suggestions.

One of the keys for me is to make sure each tool has a home. By that I
mean a dedicated shelf, cubby, slot, nail on the wall or case where
each tool gets returned to when I'm finished with it. I like my tools
exposed and visible, personally, so I can quickly get to them and
quickly see if something is missing. Trouble starts when you've got a
pile of tools all banging together getting pushed this way and that to
make room for something else you've acquired. Organize!

JP