Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
PipeDown

Default Heath-Zenith Wireless doorbells are garbage - Followup

My how the world has changed. Heath-Zenith used be to be where you bought
electronics educational kits (AKA HeathKit). You could buy a whole TV in
kit form once upon a time. Now they make doorbells and outdoor lighting
sold at HD. Can't even recognize that company anymore.

Nor does it seem, they even have their own website.

wrote in message
After posting this I remebered a change of doorbell transformer was
needed. Old was 12V and DiMango required 16V if memory serves. I was
lucky that the transformer was in the attic directly above the bell.
HTH.

***********************
I bought a DiMango unit where the transmitter is wired with the
doorbell transformer and receiver(s) plug into any duplex receptacle.
Worked fine for years. Have moved and 2 were moved with us but not
connected yet. Single doorbel pushbutton works for original bell and
DiMango units. Would do it again.

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 01:47:55 -0500, wrote:

Heath-Zenith Wireless doorbells are garbage.
In the past 3 years since I bought the first one, I have had to
replace this doorbell 3 times. I bought one at Walmart for about $15.
It lasted a year. I replaced the battery in the outdoor button, still
it did not work. (The indoor ringer is 120V AC). I bought another
complete set, and found the bell (indoor) was fine on my old one, but
the outdoor button was dead. A few months later it was dead again,
and a new battery did not fix it again. I was able to exchange it
that time. Now, once again it's dead. It appears to be the button
again. This time I contacted the manufacturer. They said that they
would replace it if it was still in the one year warranty and I had
the receipt. I cant find the receipt, so they refuse to assist me,
even though they admit that it's probably defective.

After this much trouble, I dont even want another one, and will
install a wired bell. DO NOT buy them, they are total trash.
I should mention that the outdoor button is under a roof too, so it's
not water getting into it. Just very poor quality (made in China)
crap. The model number is SL 6151-RX-A

Mark