Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Default Anyone getting flooded in PA

Shopdog wrote:

(after noting in a previous posting of something over 10" altho didn't
actually say over what time frame)

We've had torrential rains before, but nothing lasting this long or this
torrential. ...

How old are you?

10" in a single event certainly doesn't seem like any great rarity,
particularly in places back there that have fairly high rainfall,
anyway.

I'm only 60-something and I've seen 2-ft (yes, feet!) totals in only
slightly over 24 hours in VA (Camille fallout, 1969) and numerous other
rains of 8-10" there and in E TN in the 30 years or so was there. That
alltime records would be 10" or less most places east of the
Mississippi seems unlikely to me.

Even out here where annual rainfall averages are 20" or less it is
certainly not unheard of to have such single-storm evens although here
they don't cover as large as areas in general as they do where there
simply is more widespread water vapor available owing to proximity to
large bodies of water and prevailing weather patterns.

We've had a couple just the last couple of months that dumped as much
as 10-12" in only a few hours and a particularly nasty one three years
ago did 16" in only slightly over 3 hours. That one was especially
rough because it included 80-90 mph wind and baseball-sized hail for
nearly 45 minutes during the early phases of the storm.

My point is that there is far too much being made of a lot of this
about "one of a kind" and "lifetime" events that a more considered look
at actual history could allay...