Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan

Default Remote control to turn on cable box, select a channel, then vcrby timer?

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
Dan wrote:

Thanks for the reply. All the ones I looked at online (logitech, etc)
even those in the $200 - $400 dollar range (that such things even
existed surprised me ;-) ) WILL run macros of the type "press a
button, turn on these 3 boxes, set them this way", but none I saw had a
clock that would do this at a variable time/channel you select, like you
set a vcr/tivo to record. Unless I missed that. Wouldn't be the 1st
time...

Another option would be a VCR+ (VCRplus) handheld device. I
don't know if they still sell them, and you'd need to get
the VCR+ code for anything you want to record, but it will
run an internal clock, turn on the VCR and cable box, tune
the channels and tell the VCR to start recording, then turn
it all off at the end of the program. You can figure the
VCR+ codes yourself if you can't find them for the program
you want, but the method of creating them is encrypted, and
it's been years since I figured out how to do it.

Thanks Todd, that might be another approach, though as you say dealing
with the codes is a bit of a pain.

Dan